Atletico Madrid beat local rivals Real Madrid in the Champions League semi finals but that wasn’t enough to prevent Real to advance to face Juventus in the final.
A late Isco strike was enough to pull Real Madrid through following Saul’s header and a Grizeman penalty.
Key Opta stats:
– Madrid v Juventus will be eighth European Cup final fixture to be played twice, and the fourth in the Champions League era (also Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid, Barcelona v Manchester United, Liverpool v Milan).
– Isco scored his first Champions League goal since April 2014 (v Borussia Dortmund), ending a run of 30 games in the competition without scoring.
– Antoine Griezmann has netted five goals in his last five home games in the Champions League.
– All seven of Saul Niguez’s Champions League goals have been the opening goal of the game.
– Real Madrid have conceded more penalties than any other team in the Champions League this season (5).
– Atletico Madrid have won 18 of their 23 Champions League home games under Diego Simeone (D4 L1).
– Despite progressing, this was Real Madrid’s first defeat in the competition this season (W8 D3 L1), meaning Juventus are the only unbeaten side left.
Merife Obinna’s Blog
©2017. All Rights Reserved